The Flute Forum with Jeanne Baxtresser and Alberto Almarza.
The Consummate Flutist
Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh June 18 -22, 2014
Join us for The Consummate Flutist, an inspirational week of masterclasses, lectures and workshops with master artists Jeanne Baxtresser, Alberto Almarza, Jim Walker and Soo-Kyung Park.
Daily masterclasses will focus on standard repertoire and orchestral excerpts. In addition, the flute faculty will present lectures and workshops focusing on many aspects of flute performance and career planning, including performance and audition techniques, Baroque and extended technique classes, and strategies for being a successful student and beyond!
Performer - $525
A limited number of ADVANCED HIGH SCHOOL, COLLEGE and PRE-PROFESSIONAL flutists will be selected as performers for The Consummate Flutist. Those selected as performers will participate in all workshops and lectures and will perform for our flute faculty in the scheduled masterclasses. Early application is encouraged as spaces fill quickly. AUDITION REQUIRED (see below for requirements)
Participant - $375
ADVANCED HIGH SCHOOL, COLLEGE and PRE-PROFESSIONAL students wishing to be participants at The Consummate Flutist will receive a private mini-session (15 minutes) with Alberto Almarza or Soo-Kyung Park and are invited to a special Participant Forum/Discussion with Alberto Almarza and Jeanne Baxtresser. In addition, participants will have access to all masterclasses, workshops and lectures. No audition is required, however space is limited. Students wishing to be participants are asked for a CURRENT BIOGRAPHY with their registration (250 word max).
Auditor –$75 (full day), $40 (half day)
Auditors of ANY AGE are welcome to attend any of the masterclasses, workshops and lectures. Daily passes are available for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Half-Day Passes are available for Wednesday and Sunday.
Teachers & Parents:
Teachers and parents of REGISTERED performers & participants are welcome to attend The Consummate Flutist as our guests, at no charge. Students must register their parents/teacher on their registration form.
Audition Requirements (PERFORMERS):
Please submit a high-quality recording of:
- One standard piece of the flute repertoire (ex: sonatine, French contest piece from the Moyse book, or one movement of a sonata or concerto)
- Plus, two contrasting orchestral excerpts (one lyrical, and one technical)
This recording can be with or without piano and should give a complete picture of the technical and lyrical playing abilities of the performer.
*INSTRUCTIONS for submitting your audition:
- Complete the ONLINE Audition Application (www.cmufluteforum.com/apply-now)
- Three ways to submit recordings:
- March 1 – Early Audition Deadline (notification by March 14)
- April 15 – Audition Deadline (notification by April 30)
- May 1 – Payment and Registration DUE for all accepted performers (March and April)
- May 15 – Late Audition Deadline (if space is available)
Once accepted, performers can accept their position and register at any time before May 1. Discounted registration rates are offered to those that register and pay early. Late applications will only be accepted if space is available.
ON-CAMPUS: Carnegie Mellon University has a limited amount of on-campus housing available for students OVER 18 YEARS OLD. Rooms must be reserved on The Consummate Flutist Registration Form. Full payment must be received by May 18th. Rooms are available at the following rates:
- Small single: $53.00 per person/per night
- Double: $38.00 per person/per night
- Double as a Single: $76 per person/per night
OFF-CAMPUS: For students under 18, those traveling with teachers or families and anyone wishing to stay off-campus, we have made arrangements with three local hotels. These hotels will offer a special discount to those attending The Consummate Flutist and offer shuttle service to Carnegie Mellon University. Hotel details (with discount codes) will be available soon.
Transportation from airport:
- 28x Bus service from Airport to Carnegie Mellon University, http://www.portauthority.org/PAAC/Apps/pdfs/28X.PDF
- Hotel shuttle: Inquire with individual hotels for information and schedule
- By taxi or car: approx. 25 minutes from the Pittsburgh International Airport to Carnegie Mellon University
Meals are not included. A variety of eateries are available on Carnegie Mellon’s campus, as well as restaurants in Oakland, Shadyside and Squirrel Hill.
Registration and Payment Deadlines for ALL attendees:
- April 1 – EARLY registration online ($15 registration fee)
- May 1 –REGULAR registration online ($35 registration fee)
- May 18th – Housing Payment DUE for those requesting on-campus housing. See registration form for details.
- May 31 – LATE registration online ($60 registration fee) For participants and performers, if space is available.
- June 18 – Last day for AUDITORS to register online (Cash payments accepted at the event for auditors only)